Accident will always happen, no matter how careful one can be. Don’t worry as your insurance/takaful will cover you against these risk. Depending on your coverage (Comprehensive, Third Party, Fire & Theft or basic Third Party), any damages caused will be taken care by your insurer / Takaful Operator. Just stay calm and keep yourself safe.
Below are just simple tips of what you should do when involved in an accident.
- Ensure your vehicle is not blocking other road users if it is a minor accident, quickly park it at a safe place before checking your vehicle. If vehicle is immobile, get out of your vehicle and move over to a safe place.
- Avoid arguments and take note of the vehicle registration numbers of all vehicles involved.
- Try to obtain name, contact no. of Third Party driver involved and name of any witness if available.
- Note down details of person injured and contact no. if available.
- Report accident to the police within 24 hours of the accident.
- Do not allow a non-panel workshop to tow away your vehicle, always contact your insurance panel workshop to give you assistance or accident assist 1300-22-11-88 for assistance.
- Do not admit liability or offer to settle to a third party involved in the accident.
- Always refer them back to your insurance company if they wish to claim against you.